July 13, 2015

Saint Denise





Perhaps my favorite moment in visiting Saint Denise was seeing the Marie Antoinette statue and burial site. The interesting aspects of her life and the hatred that was shown during her reign as queen of France interested me because I wanted to understand why she was disliked so much. In researching her life I have come to feel as though it was a misinterpretation between her status and her personal life. I was also interested in the history behind the buidling itself and wherebit was built. The story is that it was built on the burial site of Saint Denise. He was martryed for religious reasons and was said to walk holding his head after being beheaded and that was his greatest contirbution. Of course I do not completely believe that this is the full story but it was interesting to learn. So when learning about the church being built in this spot and understanding the time period that gothic style took root it made the details and dramatics of the church more important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment